The company secretary is appointed by the directors to take on the responsibilities of compliance, legal obligations and administrative tasks of the board and the company. Specifically, some of the main duties include:
- Calling meetings between directors and/or shareholders
- Recording minutes of the meetings
- Keeping statutory record books
- Ensuring payment of dividend and interest payments
- Drafting and execution of agreements, contracts and resolutions
A company secretary does not automatically become an employee, and is not necessarily a director either.