A tax agent is a person who is in the business of professionally preparing the tax returns of individuals or businesses. Some basic requirements to become a tax agent are as follows (per the ATO):
- You must be at least 18 years of age to be eligible to apply.
- You must be a fit and proper person.
- You must satisfy the qualification and experience requirements.
- You maintain, or will be able to maintain, professional indemnity insurance that meets our requirements.
- Complete an online application and provide all supporting documents.